AEROS is a managed service that helps GP practices and CCGs to deliver the Government's Digital Challenge. It is a strategic hosting platform that encourages local healthcare teams to embrace data sharing, interoperability and integrated care.
Using cloud technology, AEROS provides clinicians with fast access to patient records. The patient record is no longer locked in the GP practice; now, locally authorised healthcare teams can collaborate electronically to exchange information and review progress wherever they are located.
A safe place
AEROS is a safe and secure place to store your patient records. In the event of disasters at the practice like fire, theft or flooding, the patient data remains unaffected because it is safely stored in off-site data centres. And should disaster strike, Vision can be up and running again much faster with AEROS.
Ease of ownership
AEROS liberates time by reducing the administrative burden in the GP practice, at the CCG or in the CSU. The Vision service on AEROS is managed by INPS, there is no need for a local server and there is no requirement for an old fashioned back-up at the practice. The Vision system is always up-to-date and all enhancements and modifications are managed centrally. In the practice, local desktops are easy to configure and simple to maintain, INPS is keen to work with local IT support providers to ensure that Vision system performance is optimised.
Reliable and resilient
AEROS is built to ensure the highest levels of reliability and system availability. In the worst case scenario of a data centre being unavailable through an unforeseen catastrophe, the affected GP practices will be adopted by the second data centre within two hours, compared with potentially days to replace a practice server.
Better for the environment
AEROS represents a dramatic improvement in the carbon footprint for INPS hosted services. The use of the very latest technology has allowed an 80% reduction in the number of servers needed to support the hosted Vision user base; today more than 15,000 users will access Vision on AEROS.
Simpler and faster
AEROS is a simple technical solution that uses virtualisation to allow hardware resources to be utilised more efficiently. A combination of state of the art hardware devices and the latest operating systems creates a dramatic performance improvement to previous hosted environments, described as ‘blistering’ by early adopters. Each practice has its own virtual server in the cloud, eliminating contention for resources between practices and ultimately improving security.
Windows Server 2008
Benefits include improved security, the latest version of Remote Desktop Services for improved responsiveness, improved support, compression of data and better recovery. You can look forward to a modern desktop environment, performance improvements and Office 2010.
Individual virtual server for each practice
- Vision updates available without delay
- Each practice has its own virtual resources for consistent performance
- Improved security as servers are not shared between practices, resources are not contended
- Third party applications are installed inside the practice space allowing a more flexible approach to system add-ons within the GPSoC Level 4 compliant environment
- Fully resilient Tier IV data centres
AEROS exceeds GPSOC Level 4 hosting requirements
- Dual data centres to ensure business continuity
- Fully resilient power, fire suppression, cooling and back-up cooling
- ISO 27001 security compliant, for the highest level of physical access and security processes
- Managed backup from INPS
Zero impact on performance using snapshot and vaulting technology
- Three copies of the data are taken every night
- 34 copies of the nightly backup are available without the need to revert to backup tapes, leading to faster recovery times
- 6 months of monthly backups available without the need to revert to backup tapes
- Disaster Recovery (DR) testing
Annual DR failover tests, witnessed by the HSCIC
- INPS performs unobtrusive testing every three months
- Full range of business continuity options for the practice including local Vision Business Continuity and remote access to the patient record